- 1 How do I get to the other Apostle Islands?
- 2 What is the best way to see the Apostle Islands?
- 3 Can you walk to Apostle Islands?
- 4 Where should I stay when visiting the Apostle Islands?
- 5 Do you need a car on Madeline Island?
- 6 How long does it take to kayak to the Apostle Islands?
- 7 How long is Apostle Island Grand Tour?
- 8 Can you stay on the Apostle Islands?
- 9 Are the Apostle Islands Open?
- 10 How do you get to Basswood Island?
- 11 What’s Open on Madeline Island?
- 12 What town is closest to Apostle Islands?
- 13 What cities are near the Apostle Islands?
- 14 What is special about Apostle Islands?
How do I get to the other Apostle Islands?
Take a Shuttle or water taxi: Apostle Islands Cruises – (AIC) is authorized by the National Park Service and U.S. Department of the Interior as a park concessioner to serve the public within the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore. They offer a variety of narrated sightseeing tours and shuttles to specific islands.
What is the best way to see the Apostle Islands?
Kayaking is one of the best ways to explore the Apostle Islands, enabling you to discover hard-to-reach spots and unique points of interest. While kayaking on Lake Superior, you can explore caves, see shipwrecks, go snorkeling, or just immerse yourself in the natural beauty of the area.
Can you walk to Apostle Islands?
The Apostle Islands host more than 50 miles of hiking trails through pristine protected wilderness. This five mile trail from Meyers Beach is the only hiking trail in the park that is on the mainland. It is a can’t-miss hiking experience in Northern Wisconsin.
Where should I stay when visiting the Apostle Islands?
Hotels near Apostle Islands Marina
- Harbor’s Edge Motel. 2.5-star.
- Legendary Waters Resort & Casino. 2.5-star.
- Lucy’s Place. 3-star.
- Seagull Bay Motel. 3-star.
- Old Rittenhouse Inn. 3.5-star.
- Winfield Inn and Gardens. 3-star.
- Pinehurst Inn Bed & Breakfast. 3.5-star.
- Apostle Pines 4 by Winfield Inn. 3.5-star.
Do you need a car on Madeline Island?
Madeline Island can be accessed via private boat, airplane, or ferry. From the mainland dock to Island dock the distance is approximately 2.5 miles. Are reservations required for the Ferry? No, vehicles and pedestrians are loaded on a first come first served basis.
How long does it take to kayak to the Apostle Islands?
For die-hard yakkers with plenty of sea kayaking experience and a thirst for adventure, the 75-mile Outer Island Loop of the Apostles is a fun choice. This trip will take roughly a week to complete, allowing you to stop and explore 11 of the islands along the way.
How long is Apostle Island Grand Tour?
The Grand Tour takes you on a narrated, informative 55-mile scenic tour. Throughout this memorable cruise, you’ll pass extraordinary natural scenery, beautiful historic Raspberry and Devils Island Lighthouses, standing rocks, extensive sea caves, and marine wildlife.
Can you stay on the Apostle Islands?
There is NO drive up car, tent, or RV camping available in the Apostle Islands. There are a variety of these camping options available in the local area. The islands are only accessible by sea kayak, motor boat, sail boat, shuttle service, or water taxi.
Are the Apostle Islands Open?
Apostle Islands National Lakeshore is open year-round; however, the islands become much more challenging to access during the shoulder seasons and winter. It is always a good idea to check on current conditions before setting out.
How do you get to Basswood Island?
There are three main ways to land on Basswood Island – Kayak, boating and on a ferry shuttle. If you are boating or kayaking, you can depart at Buffalo Bay Beach in Red Cliff. All boats must dock at the pier on the west side of the island.
What’s Open on Madeline Island?
- What’s open on Madeline Island? Click here for current business hours.
- Beach Club.
- Cafe Seiche.
- Farmhouse Madeline.
- Grampa Tony’s.
- Rock House (aka Jody’s Food Truck): Great food within walking distance of the ferry.
- Mission Hill Coffee House & Gifts.
- Q & Z’s Bakery & Cafe.
What town is closest to Apostle Islands?
Beautiful Bayfield is the gateway to the Apostle Islands and serves as a hub for visitors who want to explore Lake Superior and Wisconsin’s north coast. This historic and picturesque town offers a wide variety of lodging, dining, shopping, and entertainment options.
What cities are near the Apostle Islands?
Road Trip to Wisconsin’s Apostle Islands and Harbor Towns
- Apostle Islands National Lakeshore. Starting a road trip in the northern region of Wisconsin on Lake Superior, travelers can start at the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore.
- Green Bay.
- Sturgeon Bay.
What is special about Apostle Islands?
Apostle Islands National Lakeshore has more lighthouses than any other site in the National Park System with 9 historic towers on 6 islands. More than 240 species of birds breed in and/or migrate through this archipelago. Visitors can hike, paddle, sail, or cruise to experience these jewels of Lake Superior.