- 1 What is the best way to see the Apostle Islands?
- 2 When should I go to the Apostle Islands?
- 3 Where should I stay when visiting the Apostle Islands?
- 4 Can you take a boat to the Apostle Islands?
- 5 How long is Apostle Island Grand Tour?
- 6 Do you need a car on Madeline Island?
- 7 Can you stay on the Apostle Islands?
- 8 Are the Apostle Islands Open?
- 9 What town is closest to Apostle Islands?
- 10 What cities are near the Apostle Islands?
- 11 What is special about Apostle Islands?
- 12 How long does the Madeline Island Ferry take?
- 13 How deep is the water around the Apostle Islands?
What is the best way to see the Apostle Islands?
Kayaking is one of the best ways to explore the Apostle Islands, enabling you to discover hard-to-reach spots and unique points of interest. While kayaking on Lake Superior, you can explore caves, see shipwrecks, go snorkeling, or just immerse yourself in the natural beauty of the area.
When should I go to the Apostle Islands?
Summer is the best time to visit the Apostle Islands, namely July and August. June and September are also good months, but meteorological conditions are much more unstable.
Where should I stay when visiting the Apostle Islands?
Hotels near Apostle Islands Marina
- Harbor’s Edge Motel. 2.5-star.
- Legendary Waters Resort & Casino. 2.5-star.
- Lucy’s Place. 3-star.
- Seagull Bay Motel. 3-star.
- Old Rittenhouse Inn. 3.5-star.
- Winfield Inn and Gardens. 3-star.
- Pinehurst Inn Bed & Breakfast. 3.5-star.
- Apostle Pines 4 by Winfield Inn. 3.5-star.
Can you take a boat to the Apostle Islands?
There are no roads or vehicle access to any of the 21 Apostle Islands within the National Lakeshore. Getting to these islands on Lake Superior requires some mode of water transportation: On Your Own: You can take your own boat out onto Lake Superior, or paddle a 16ft.
How long is Apostle Island Grand Tour?
The Grand Tour takes you on a narrated, informative 55-mile scenic tour. Throughout this memorable cruise, you’ll pass extraordinary natural scenery, beautiful historic Raspberry and Devils Island Lighthouses, standing rocks, extensive sea caves, and marine wildlife.
Do you need a car on Madeline Island?
Madeline Island can be accessed via private boat, airplane, or ferry. From the mainland dock to Island dock the distance is approximately 2.5 miles. Are reservations required for the Ferry? No, vehicles and pedestrians are loaded on a first come first served basis.
Can you stay on the Apostle Islands?
There is NO drive up car, tent, or RV camping available in the Apostle Islands. There are a variety of these camping options available in the local area. The islands are only accessible by sea kayak, motor boat, sail boat, shuttle service, or water taxi.
Are the Apostle Islands Open?
Apostle Islands National Lakeshore is open year-round; however, the islands become much more challenging to access during the shoulder seasons and winter. It is always a good idea to check on current conditions before setting out.
What town is closest to Apostle Islands?
Beautiful Bayfield is the gateway to the Apostle Islands and serves as a hub for visitors who want to explore Lake Superior and Wisconsin’s north coast. This historic and picturesque town offers a wide variety of lodging, dining, shopping, and entertainment options.
What cities are near the Apostle Islands?
Road Trip to Wisconsin’s Apostle Islands and Harbor Towns
- Apostle Islands National Lakeshore. Starting a road trip in the northern region of Wisconsin on Lake Superior, travelers can start at the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore.
- Green Bay.
- Sturgeon Bay.
What is special about Apostle Islands?
Apostle Islands National Lakeshore has more lighthouses than any other site in the National Park System with 9 historic towers on 6 islands. More than 240 species of birds breed in and/or migrate through this archipelago. Visitors can hike, paddle, sail, or cruise to experience these jewels of Lake Superior.
How long does the Madeline Island Ferry take?
The ferry ride takes approximately 20-25 minutes. From the mainland dock in Bayfield to Island dock the distance is approximately 2.5 miles.
How deep is the water around the Apostle Islands?
There are two major lagoons in the Lakeshore, the Outer Island Lagoon’s area is 53 acres and its maximum depth is 7 feet.