- 1 Can you camp in Apostle Islands?
- 2 Where should I stay when visiting the Apostle Islands?
- 3 Does anyone live on the Apostle Islands?
- 4 How much does it cost to camp on Madeline Island?
- 5 Are the Apostle Islands Open?
- 6 Where is the Apostle Island?
- 7 Can you rent golf carts on Madeline Island?
- 8 What town is closest to Apostle Islands?
- 9 How do you explore the Apostle Islands?
- 10 Are there bears in the Apostle Islands?
- 11 How many Apostle Islands are there?
- 12 Why do they call it the Apostle Islands?
- 13 Is there WIFI on Madeline Island?
- 14 What is open on Madeline Island?
- 15 Can you take an RV to Madeline Island?
Can you camp in Apostle Islands?
Camping is available on 18 of the Lakeshore’s 21 islands, and at one campsite on the mainland. The mainland campsite is only accessible by kayak or a 6-mile hike on the Lakeshore Trail from Meyers Beach. There is NO drive up car, tent, or RV camping available in the Apostle Islands.
Where should I stay when visiting the Apostle Islands?
Hotels near Apostle Islands Marina
- Harbor’s Edge Motel. 2.5-star.
- Legendary Waters Resort & Casino. 2.5-star.
- Lucy’s Place. 3-star.
- Seagull Bay Motel. 3-star.
- Old Rittenhouse Inn. 3.5-star.
- Winfield Inn and Gardens. 3-star.
- Pinehurst Inn Bed & Breakfast. 3.5-star.
- Apostle Pines 4 by Winfield Inn. 3.5-star.
Does anyone live on the Apostle Islands?
Michigan Island: This island has no human inhabitants, and is managed by the National Park Service as part of the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore.
How much does it cost to camp on Madeline Island?
Camping rates are $33/night for no hookup sites and $40/night for electric only sites. Picnic area with covered pavilion, fishing, canoeing and kayaking, swimming and sand beaches.
Are the Apostle Islands Open?
Apostle Islands National Lakeshore is open year-round; however, the islands become much more challenging to access during the shoulder seasons and winter. It is always a good idea to check on current conditions before setting out.
Where is the Apostle Island?
Apostle Islands National Lakeshore is located on the northern-most point in Wisconsin, near Bayfield, along the south shore of Lake Superior. The Bayfield and Little Sand Bay Visitor Centers, as well as, Meyers Beach are accessible by road. Access to the 21 islands is by boat only.
Can you rent golf carts on Madeline Island?
No, public transportation is not available on the Island. It is advisable to bring your car across – especially for access to the parks as they are located 7 miles from the ferry landing. If I don’t bring my vehicle over to the Island, what can I do while on the Island?
What town is closest to Apostle Islands?
Beautiful Bayfield is the gateway to the Apostle Islands and serves as a hub for visitors who want to explore Lake Superior and Wisconsin’s north coast. This historic and picturesque town offers a wide variety of lodging, dining, shopping, and entertainment options.
How do you explore the Apostle Islands?
Use your own boat or kayak to access the islands or board one of the island shuttles offered by the Apostle Islands Cruises. Apostle Island Cruises also offer a variety of narrated boat and lighthouse tours.
Are there bears in the Apostle Islands?
One of the greatest concentrations of black bears in North America is found on Stockton Island in the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore. Due to their mobility and expert swimming skills, bears may be found on just about any of the Apostle Islands. Sometimes mainland bears will swim out to the islands when pressured.
How many Apostle Islands are there?
Set in a matrix of Lake Superior, the largest and most pristine of the Great Lakes, the Apostle Islands archipelago includes 22 islands and is located in far northwestern Wisconsin, off the Bayfield Peninsula.
Why do they call it the Apostle Islands?
“Historians believe that the Jesuits named the islands the Apostle Islands according to their practice of giving holy names to new places.” It is said that fur traders were the first explorers to settle in the area, building a village from the money they brought in.
Is there WIFI on Madeline Island?
Open year round with access to ATV and snowmobile trails, minutes to Bayfield and the Apostle Islands, and yes, we have free wifi!
What is open on Madeline Island?
- What’s open on Madeline Island? Click here for current business hours.
- Beach Club.
- Cafe Seiche.
- Farmhouse Madeline.
- Grampa Tony’s.
- Rock House (aka Jody’s Food Truck): Great food within walking distance of the ferry.
- Mission Hill Coffee House & Gifts.
- Q & Z’s Bakery & Cafe.
Can you take an RV to Madeline Island?
The majority of visitors arrive on the ferry when visiting Madeline Island. You can drive your RV on the ferry as you get ready to connect with nature on the island. The ferry ride takes approximately 25 minutes to make the 2.5-mile trip. Have your camera ready, as the views from island to island are beautiful.