- 1 Can you camp in Apostle Islands?
- 2 What is special about Apostle Islands?
- 3 Is Apostle Islands National Lakeshore Open?
- 4 Does anyone live on the Apostle Islands?
- 5 Where should I stay when visiting the Apostle Islands?
- 6 Is Madeline Island part of the Apostle Islands?
- 7 How much does it cost to go to the Apostle Islands?
- 8 Can you swim at the Apostle Islands?
- 9 Are the Apostle Islands ice caves open?
- 10 How do you get to Apostle Islands caves?
- 11 Are dogs allowed on Apostle Islands?
- 12 Are there bears in the Apostle Islands?
- 13 Do you need a car on Madeline Island?
- 14 What town is near Apostle Islands?
Can you camp in Apostle Islands?
Camping is available on 18 of the Lakeshore’s 21 islands, and at one campsite on the mainland. The mainland campsite is only accessible by kayak or a 6-mile hike on the Lakeshore Trail from Meyers Beach. There is NO drive up car, tent, or RV camping available in the Apostle Islands.
What is special about Apostle Islands?
Apostle Islands National Lakeshore has more lighthouses than any other site in the National Park System with 9 historic towers on 6 islands. More than 240 species of birds breed in and/or migrate through this archipelago. Visitors can hike, paddle, sail, or cruise to experience these jewels of Lake Superior.
Is Apostle Islands National Lakeshore Open?
Apostle Islands National Lakeshore is open year-round; however, the islands become much more challenging to access during the shoulder seasons and winter. It is always a good idea to check on current conditions before setting out.
Does anyone live on the Apostle Islands?
Michigan Island: This island has no human inhabitants, and is managed by the National Park Service as part of the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore.
Where should I stay when visiting the Apostle Islands?
Hotels near Apostle Islands Marina
- Harbor’s Edge Motel. 2.5-star.
- Legendary Waters Resort & Casino. 2.5-star.
- Lucy’s Place. 3-star.
- Seagull Bay Motel. 3-star.
- Old Rittenhouse Inn. 3.5-star.
- Winfield Inn and Gardens. 3-star.
- Pinehurst Inn Bed & Breakfast. 3.5-star.
- Apostle Pines 4 by Winfield Inn. 3.5-star.
Is Madeline Island part of the Apostle Islands?
One of the 22 Apostle Islands, Madeline is the largest (about the same size as the island of Manhattan) and the only one not part of the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore.
How much does it cost to go to the Apostle Islands?
1. Is there an entrance fee? No. Apostle Islands National Lakeshore does not charge an entrance fee, but does have expanded amenity fees.
Can you swim at the Apostle Islands?
Yes, it’s true, Lake Superior can be really cold. The average annual water temperature of the lake is about 40 degrees Fahrenheit. On warm, calm, sunny summer days, however, water temperatures in the Apostle Islands’ protected shallow bays can climb into the 70s.
Are the Apostle Islands ice caves open?
Conditions at the apostle islands mainland caves The mainland ice caves in the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore are currently INACCESSIBLE. See the latest conditions on the NPS Facebook page. The ice line also has updated conditions at 715-779-3397 ext. 3 and more information can be found on the Park Service website.
How do you get to Apostle Islands caves?
Getting there Kayakers with their own boats wishing to visit the mainland caves will find a good launch point at the end of Meyers Road. This is located about 18 miles west of Bayfield off Highway 13. Boaters wishing to visit the Sand Island caves will find a boat launch at Little Sand Bay, 13 miles north of Bayfield.
Are dogs allowed on Apostle Islands?
Pets are not allowed in public buildings or on scheduled Apostle Islands Cruise Service trips (except guide dogs accompanying visually or hearing impaired people).
Are there bears in the Apostle Islands?
One of the greatest concentrations of black bears in North America is found on Stockton Island in the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore. Due to their mobility and expert swimming skills, bears may be found on just about any of the Apostle Islands. Sometimes mainland bears will swim out to the islands when pressured.
Do you need a car on Madeline Island?
Madeline Island can be accessed via private boat, airplane, or ferry. From the mainland dock to Island dock the distance is approximately 2.5 miles. Are reservations required for the Ferry? No, vehicles and pedestrians are loaded on a first come first served basis.
What town is near Apostle Islands?
Beautiful Bayfield is the gateway to the Apostle Islands and serves as a hub for visitors who want to explore Lake Superior and Wisconsin’s north coast. This historic and picturesque town offers a wide variety of lodging, dining, shopping, and entertainment options.